Over the years, the lifestyle of people has evolved in a way that even the most basic movements feel like a massive workout. This type of lifestyle has led to many changes in one’s daily routine resulting in enormous health complications such as obesity, joint immobility, and other health complications. All of them directly impact the spine, which, if not treated properly, can result in chronic pain.
Spinal health is exceptionally crucial regardless of your age. This is why it is essential to maintain a healthy spine from an early age. From losing weight to ensuring comfort at the workplace, there are plenty of ways to keep your spinal health.
Most workaholics look forward to bedtime after a stressful day at work. Lying down in your bed after a stressful day at work allows you to feel relaxed and refreshed for the upcoming endeavors. However, you must make the most of this time and buy mattresses that offer maximum spinal support rather than being uncomfortably soft or hard.
- Most people prefer a mattress with firm support that allows you to rest the spine without any added stress or change in position. Rather than being too hard or too soft, these mattresses provide you with the best support and ensure that your posture remains in an optimal position.
- Additionally, people who sleep on the back have more chances of getting a hunched back and spinal compression. This is a terrible way to treat the most important part of your body. Professional chiropractors recommend placing a pillow under their knees to eliminate strain on the lower back. If you sleep on the side, we think a pillow between the knees is ideal for maintaining pelvis strength. You need to check your posture and perfect sleeping position before finalizing the best mattress and pillows in the lot.
Include Core Exercises
The core muscles of your body are located in the lower back and abdomen region. For a person to function successfully, these muscles should perform well and remain strong. However, an unfortunate dilemma in this scenario is that we don’t use our lower back muscles as much as we are supposed to. This is why targeted exercises are compulsory and help you establish a regular routine for strength and flexibility. Most therapists and professional chiropractors recommend opting for targeted exercises and adjustments to release pressure and ensure blood circulation so the muscles can become more assertive.
- Bridges are a typical workout routine that helps you release extra pressure from your spine. All you have to do is lie on the floor with knees bent and feet flat on the floor at hips width. By keeping your arms on the sides, raise the buttocks and squeeze them. Stay in this position for at least 15 seconds and slowly lower to the ground. Perform 3 sets with 15 to 30 repetitions each.
- If you sit in the same position every day because of work, it is normal for pressure and tension to build up in that lower back region. Perform a lower back rotational stretch by lying flat on the mat with hands stretched sideways and palms facing the ground. Bend both knees to one side without lifting your spine and hold that position for at least 20 seconds. Come back to the starting position and move to the other side for the same amount of time. Perform 3 sets with 15 to 30 repetitions each. This is one of the most durable exercises, especially if you are getting spinal decompression therapy.
- Plank is one of the most valuable exercises for the lower spine and the arms, legs, and back. It reduces the stress on your back and adds more flexibility. Lie down on the floor with your spine facing the ceiling and your arms straight. Change your arms to a 90-degree angle and raise your feet while keeping your spine straight. The arms should be precisely under the shoulders, and you must not bend the knees. Hold this position for at least 30 seconds (for beginners) and build your way up. Most people who perform the plank 5 times a day for 1 minute have better health than those who don’t. Additionally, it also helps in sculpting the body.
Wear the Right Shoes
Believe it or not, the footwear you choose also holds immense importance in determining your spine health. This is why it is not a good idea to neglect what you are wearing every day. Now, choosing the right footwear doesn’t mean that you can’t wear your favorite heels or go for that one sandal you have been meaning to. It just means that to avoid any mishaps and to build spine strength, your regular footwear should support your heel without being uncomfortable. This prevents your feet from twisting, which may cause falls and changes in your lower back angles. Having a healthy spine allows you to treat yourself occasionally with a fantastic pair of heels or any other footwear you have been meaning to match with a dress.
- Joggers and trainers with added cushioning and shock absorption prevent unnecessary twisting
- Sandals with added toe room allow you to keep the feet balanced and in proper shape.
Massage is a technique that cannot help you build spinal health, but it works wonders when lifting pressure from your back. You need to get a massage from a professional masseur who knows different target points and how to treat you based on the condition of your spine. They also recommend the type of massage you should get, especially if you are getting herniated disc treatment.
- Swedish massage is one of the most popular choices among people who want relief from their consistent lower back pain. It consists of several different techniques that lift pressure from the spine while releasing tension from the sore muscles, so you are able to go home feeling like a brand new person.
- Deep tissue massage is much more than just releasing pressure. It is designed to get rid of scar tissue by applying intense pressure on the muscles. The thing to understand about deep tissue massage is that it can be overbearing for some people, so if you are suffering from a severe health condition, always seek your doctor’s advice before opting for it.
- Sports massage is perfect for people suffering from sports injuries, overexertion, and chronic back pain. This particular type of massage is designed for people who want added flexibility and strength in their bodies. A sports massage can be performed by targeting one part of your body, or you have the option to go for an overall message that hits all the areas, whether stressed or not.
A sedentary lifestyle and obesity are the most common reasons people suffer from spinal health issues. This is why it is mandatory to maintain a healthy spine from an early age. While reducing a few pounds does wonders to your health, it is also essential to perform the right kinds of exercises, opt for a massage and even choose the best mattress for sleeping. All of this helps you keep the spine and posture intact while helping you gain strength and stamina.