Muḥarram is the main month of the Islamic calendar. It is one of the four consecrated months of the year. It is known as the month of sacrifice in which numerous chronicled occasions of Islam happened through which we can get the lesson of forfeit, shared resistance, and persistence. Extraordinary sacrifices on the name of Islam from Madina to Karbala are related with this month because of which it is known as most sacrosanct Islamic month. It is held to be the second holiest month, after Ramadan. Since the Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, Muharram moves from year to year when contrasted and the Gregorian calendar.
Significance of Muharram 10th and Historical Events
This article is to especially highlight the significance of Muharram 10th and all the important historical events that took place on this day (Ashura).
What is Muharram 10th and Why Muslims Fast and Mourn On This Day
Muharram 10th is the day of mourning for some and the day of fasting for others. The contrast in the practice of fasting and mourning mostly depends upon the historical events related to this day.
One Muslim community (Sunni Muslims) fast on this day in remembrance of Prophet Musa PBUH (Moses) victory against Firoun (Pharaoh) while the other community (Shiite Muslims) mourn this day remembering the sacrifices of Imam Hussain and his family (Grandson of Prophet Muhammad PBUH) in the name of Islam.
Muharram 10th Historical Events
In spite of the fact that the month of Muharram is a consecrated month, all in all, the 10th of Muharram is the most sacrosanct among all its days. The day is named ‘Aashurah’. It is a standout amongst the most critical and favored long periods of Allah Ta’ala in the Islamic calendar. This day has been acknowledged as having profound noteworthiness. Proof of its hugeness has been obviously found in legitimate conventions.
There are numerous Prophetic events of great significance that occurred on this day. Some of them are as follows:
- As per the narrations, Allah created this world and hereafter (Paradise) on 10th of Muharram
- The ship of Prophet Noah PBUH land peacefully and victoriously on Mount Al-Judi by the grace of Allah
- Allah spared Prophet Ibrahim PBUH (Abraham) from the despot Nimrood
- On the tenth of Muharram Allah cured Prophet Ayoub PBUH (Job) after many years of illness
- Allah united Prophet Yaqoob PBUH (Jacob) with his son Prophet Yousuf PBUH (Joseph) on this day
- Prophet Musa PBUH (Moses) defeated Pharaoh (Firoun)
- Allah forgave Prophet Dawud PBUH (David)
- Prophet Sulayman PBUH (Solomon) was granted the great dominion
- Allah brought Prophet Yunus PBUH (Jonah) safely out of the whale after 40 days
- On this day the Battle of Dhat ar-Riqa took place
- Imam Hussain PBUH was martyred on the day of the 10th of Muharram.
- According to some narrations, the end of this world will also occur on the 10th of Muharram.
Although, only the God knows the truth if all of these significant events happened on Muharram 10th or not. The historical importance of this day, however, is matchless and the blessings of this holy month are complex. Despite the fact that fasting in this sacrosanct month isn’t compulsory, however, it brings extraordinary benefits. It is said that fasting in this month duplicates the reward thirty times. On this day, giving out philanthropy for Allah is also of great reward.